ABOUT THE FIRST TEE OF GREATER CHARLOTTE
The First Tee of Greater Charlotte was established in 2003 to teach children life skills through the game of golf. The First Tee program is based on The First Tee Nine Core Values that are taught through the character education program: responsibility, respect, honesty, judgement, courtesy, integrity, confidence, perseverance, and sportsmanship.
Our Learning Center is adjacent to The Dr. Charles L. Sifford Golf Course at Revolution Park. The First Tee of Greater Charlotte through its partnership with Mecklenburg County Park and Rec, opened its Learning Center in April 2009. With recent renovations in 2016 expanding the building. The facility includes newly developed practice areas including one practice putting green, two short game practice greens, a full driving range, as well as an indoor simulator.
We serve more than 1,700 young people annually at 6 different facilities in the Greater Charlotte area. We also partner with more than 180 local elementary and middle schools to bring the game and its inherent core values to more than 120,000 students during the school day.
Our Mission is to impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices through the game of golf.
We support our mission through three tiers:
- After-school/Summer Programming
- There are 7 sites across the greater Charlotte area.
- National School Program (NSP)
- Teaches The First Tee Nine Core Values, The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits, and the game of golf to elementary school age students in their physical education class. NSP is currently in 186 elementary schools in the greater Charlotte area including all 109 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- DRIVE Program
- Brings The First Tee curriculum to other youth serving facilities. The youth leaders of these organizations are given the equipment and trained to teach the curriculum.